Saturday, February 13, 2010

Spinach Smoothies

My friend Kristin in my Huntington Beach ward taught us how to make spinach smoothies for our relief society activity last week. please don't be scared of the name or the color. because i definitely was and was skeptical to even taste it (come on! i grew up in the south where it's not uncommon to have an entire stick of butter in 1 dish/1 plate)--but i promise you will like it, and the taste of spinach is totally disguised!! it reminds me of my favorite smoothie at Smoothie King growing up called the "Light and fluffy"- taste like orange, banana and strawberry. yum!!

the best part about it is... you get your veggies for the day! i'm not the greatest when it comes to eating greens, so this is a great way to get your greens for the day (along with fruits for the day)

Most of the ingredients I got from Costco--which is great to have in bulk, since I try to have this {almost} once a day {for breakfast or even sometimes dinner}.

* large bag of frozen strawberries
* large jug of OJ
* large container of fresh baby spinach
* large bunch of ripe bananas- that i peel and put in a large freezer bag, and take one out at a time for smoothie
* large container of vanilla yogurt

Step 1: fill blender to 1 cup line with Orange Juice and add 2 handfuls of {baby} spinach. blend/grind/etc until spinach is completing blended into OJ.


Step 2: Add 1 frozen ripe banana (frozen because its more frothy than a regular ripe banana). blend until mixed well.


Step 3: Add the yummy stuff!!! 5 frozen strawberries, and 1/4 cup of vanilla yogurt. And blend until smooth.


Side note: when you mix RED (strawberries) PLUS GREEN (spinach smoothie) the resulting color is not so appetizing...SOOOOO...Jeremy's wonderful Christmas present to me this year really came in handy.

Jeremy knows I love drinking from Styrofoam cups with lids and straws, and usually save these cups from different places we go and re-use at home. He calls them my "sippy cups".
So thus he thought it would be a good idea to get me my own personal stash of Styrofoam cups, lids and straws. We have a huge stack of these cups now standing as tall as me in our kitchen. Really truly, one of the best presents I've ever received.

No comments: